Congress reacts to Mamata’s remarks, says LS polls on time
New Delhi: A day after United Progressive Alliance’s (UPA) biggest ally Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee hinted at early Lok Sabha polls, Congress on Saturday rejected the speculation.
Congress spokesperson Rashi Alvi promised that UPA-II will complete its full term.
"I have not gone through the statement by Banerjee but one thing is clear: UPA-II (United Progressive Alliance) will complete its term and elections will be held on schedule (in 2014)," Alvi said.
"There is no question of any mid-term poll. The Manmohan Singh-led government will complete its full term. I can specifically say the (next Lok Sabha) election will be held as per schedule," he said.
He added: "If any political group talks to its workers about mid-term (election), it is their internal matter."
Taking a dig at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) the Congress spokesperson said “the opposition party has always talked about mid-term polls, but the party itself is not ready for it.”
Yesterday, Mamata Banerjee had created a storm by claiming that she has information that a political party in Delhi had held a meeting to advance the Lok Sabha poll to 2013 and asked her partymen to be ready for it.
"I have heard that a meeting to advance the Lok Sabha elections has been held. One party held such a meeting internally," Banerjee said while addressing party workers.
She however, said it could well be that her information was "insufficient".
"I have got the information that such a meeting was held in Delhi. I won`t say now which party convened that meeting. They want to hold the Lok Sabha polls by 2013," the West Bengal Chief Minister said.
"Anyday we can face the election. So we must be ready to face it. And we must not do anything that the people misunderstand me," Mamata told her party cadres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested