Congress rejects report ranking Sonia Gandhi richer than Queen Elizabeth
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Congress on Monday rejected a report that its president Sonia Gandhi was the 12th richest world leader, ahead of Queen Elizabeth of Britain and Amir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad.
A report in Huffington Post World has published a report claiming that Sonia Gandhi has USD 2 billion wealth.
Scoffing at the report, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said: "If Huffington Post would stick to huffing puffing then I think they would do a much better job for themselves. Because If you do put out these absurd and ridiculous things out in print, then you only open yourself to be made a laughing stock. I would not even like to dignify with a response."
Vladimir Putin, the President of Russia, tops the list with riches worth USD 40 billion, followed by Bhumibol Adulyadej, the king of Thailand, and Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan of Brunei.
The Indian Congress leader is followed by Albert II, the Prince of Monaco, who is worth USD 1 billion. Qaboos bin Said, the Sultan of Oman, and Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, the president of Equatorial Guinea, are next on the list.
Syria`s President Bashar al-Assad is 16th on the list with riches worth USD 550 million. And Elizabeth II, the Queen of England, ranks 18th in the list with riches worth USD 400 million to USD 500 million.
For comparison, each country`s GDP per capita is juxtaposed with a leader`s personal net worth, just to show how different life is for the haves and have-nots, says the website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list