Congress responsible for plight of SCs: BJP
Jammu: A BJP leader today said Congress was responsible for the plight of Scheduled Castes in the country and alleged that the party was using the community only for the sake of votes.
"Congress always used SCs for votes and is totally responsible for the plight of Scheduled Castes in the country," leader of BJP Legislature Party in Punjab Assembly Chuni Lal Bhagat said while addressing a function at R S Pura, 30 kms from in Jammu.
"Congress ruled the country for decades after independence and it always misled the people of SCs community on the name of welfare and upliftment," the Punjab Cabinet Minister said.
"In early 50s, reservation to this community was granted in the Constitution for ten years with the promise that during this period, the SCs will come at par with other upper caste communities, economically and otherwise also, but nothing changed due to unwillingness of the Congress-led government to implement the policies in letter and spirit," he said.
State President Jugal Kishore Sharma said majority of refugees from West Pakistan belong to SC community and claimed that their three generations have perished demanding grant of citizenship and other basic rights being enjoyed by other citizens of the country.
"The SCs are living in miserable conditions not only in rural areas but there still exist colonies of SCs in urban areas which lack basic amenities.
"Mere promises have been delivered to them, not only by Congress but by National Conference as well," National Executive Member and Jammu East MLA, Ashok Khajuria, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?