Congress ridicules Mamata`s demand for more stringent anti-rape laws
Kolkata: Bengal Congress MPs on Saturday ridiculed the demand by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee that the Centre should enact more stringent laws to deal with the perpetrators of rape and other such heinous crimes.
"I want to ask if the perpetrator of Hetal Parekh rape case could be hanged using the present laws then why the government is still not able to arrest the main accused in the Park Street incident," Minister of state for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury told a Congress meeting here.
Alleging that the West Bengal government was now trying to cover up the Park Street rape case, Chowdhury said "the state government had miserably failed to arrest the main accused in the case which took place almost 10 months ago."
Another Congress MP Deepa Dasmunshi also pointed out that since the Park Street incident, the government had been unable to arrest the main accused.
"Now the chief minister wants the Centre to enact strong laws. I ask whether the present laws allow the government to make arrests or not?" she questioned.
Reacting to the death of the rape victim early this morning in Singapore, Banerjee said that the Centre should enact more stringent laws as the present legislations were outdated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know