Congress ridicules Mamata`s demand for more stringent anti-rape laws
Kolkata: Bengal Congress MPs on Saturday ridiculed the demand by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee that the Centre should enact more stringent laws to deal with the perpetrators of rape and other such heinous crimes.
"I want to ask if the perpetrator of Hetal Parekh rape case could be hanged using the present laws then why the government is still not able to arrest the main accused in the Park Street incident," Minister of state for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury told a Congress meeting here.
Alleging that the West Bengal government was now trying to cover up the Park Street rape case, Chowdhury said "the state government had miserably failed to arrest the main accused in the case which took place almost 10 months ago."
Another Congress MP Deepa Dasmunshi also pointed out that since the Park Street incident, the government had been unable to arrest the main accused.
"Now the chief minister wants the Centre to enact strong laws. I ask whether the present laws allow the government to make arrests or not?" she questioned.
Reacting to the death of the rape victim early this morning in Singapore, Banerjee said that the Centre should enact more stringent laws as the present legislations were outdated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest