Congress rules out mid-term polls in New Year
New Delhi: Despite allies striking discordant
notes and virtually vetoing key decisions, Congress on Monday
ruled out mid-term polls in the New Year expressing confidence
that it would find a middle ground through talks.
"Of course, the question of mid-term poll does not arise,"
party spokesperson Manish Tewari said in reply to a volley of
questions on allies like Trinamool Congress and DMK acting
difficult for the government.
Amid continuing differences with Mamata Banerjee`s party
on Lokpal bill, Tewari also expressed hope of finding a
"common ground" through talks.
"We will continue talk to Trinamool Congress so that we
are able to find a common approach and common ground. We will
definitely be able to find some middle ground by constantly
talking to TMC as also our other coalition partners," Tewari
To repeated questions as to why Congress failed to resolve
the impasse on the issue with its ally, Tewari said, "Within
the UPA alliance, there may political parties which may carry
different political understanding of different issues. That is
why you have a coalition. We will try and talk to each other
to resolve issue."
Asked whether the party did not talk to Banerjee on the
issue earlier, the Congress spokesperson reminded that the
bill was passed in Lok Sabha and TMC had also contributed to
its passage there.
Banerjee`s party had supported the UPA on the issue in Lok
Sabha but changed stand when the bill came to Rajya Sabha on
the last day of the Winter Session.
The Congress spokesperson targeted BJP for opposing the
Lokpal Bill in Rajya Sabha accusing it of doing "negative
politics" throughout last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song