Congress seeks inputs from state units for manifesto
New Delhi: In the first indication of the party turning pro-active on preparations for the Lok Sabha polls, Congress has asked its state units to provide their inputs for the manifesto in the next 15 days.
Congress sources said that inputs should be regarding the states concerned as also suggestions that could be made applicable all over the country.
The timing is significant as the assembly elections in five states are scheduled by November-December.
A section of the party has been emphasising the leadership to hold Lok Sabha elections along with the assembly polls in the five states - Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Delhi and Mizoram.
The contention of this section is that by doing so, it would make matters difficult for the BJP which is ruling two of the states- Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
If the results of the Assembly polls are not good for the Congress, it would create more problems for the party to face Lok Sabha polls later, this section says. The polls have to be held by May next year.
Party leaders have often dismissed the talk of early elections noting that it was not the Congress style to advance polls and the party is known for liking to remain in office till virtually the last day of the term.
The AICC has already constituted a high level coordination committee under party Vice President Rahul Gandhi to prepare for the Lok Sabha polls.
A sub-committee headed by A K Antony has also been formed to go into the issue of alliances for the polls. Antony has always been evasive on the working of his committee and even refuses to specify how many meetings of the panel have taken place.
The Defence Minister is also chairing the sub-group on manifesto and government programmes while Digvijay Singh heads the communication and publicity sub-group.
The party sees the Food Security as also the Land Acquisition bills as `game changers` in the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what