Congress seeks inputs from state units for manifesto
New Delhi: In the first indication of the party turning pro-active on preparations for the Lok Sabha polls, Congress has asked its state units to provide their inputs for the manifesto in the next 15 days.
Congress sources said that inputs should be regarding the states concerned as also suggestions that could be made applicable all over the country.
The timing is significant as the assembly elections in five states are scheduled by November-December.
A section of the party has been emphasising the leadership to hold Lok Sabha elections along with the assembly polls in the five states - Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Delhi and Mizoram.
The contention of this section is that by doing so, it would make matters difficult for the BJP which is ruling two of the states- Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
If the results of the Assembly polls are not good for the Congress, it would create more problems for the party to face Lok Sabha polls later, this section says. The polls have to be held by May next year.
Party leaders have often dismissed the talk of early elections noting that it was not the Congress style to advance polls and the party is known for liking to remain in office till virtually the last day of the term.
The AICC has already constituted a high level coordination committee under party Vice President Rahul Gandhi to prepare for the Lok Sabha polls.
A sub-committee headed by A K Antony has also been formed to go into the issue of alliances for the polls. Antony has always been evasive on the working of his committee and even refuses to specify how many meetings of the panel have taken place.
The Defence Minister is also chairing the sub-group on manifesto and government programmes while Digvijay Singh heads the communication and publicity sub-group.
The party sees the Food Security as also the Land Acquisition bills as `game changers` in the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray