Congress sensitising party MPs about Quota bill
New Delhi: Amid controversy over the SC/ST quota bill, Congress is sensitising its Parliamentarians about the measure which would enable government to make reservations in promotions without being bound by Supreme Court judgements.
In a note circulated to several MPs on the issue, the party has drawn up a chronology of events from 1955 concerning various Supreme Court judgements on the issue noting how the matter has been dealt by the apex court.
It wanted the MPs to understand that the Constitution (117 Amendment) Bill, popularly known as "quota in promotions bill" do away with the need to satisfy the subjective tests of `backwardness` and `efficiency in administration` in every case.
This amendment, over which arch-rivals BSP and Samajwadi Party are at loggerheads, will take effect retrospectively from June 17, 1995.
In the note, Congress spoke about the general consensus arrived at the August 21 all party meeting. At the said meeting, there a consensus was formed to carry out amendment in the Constitution to overcome the situation created by the conflict in judicial decisions.
There was also a consensus on the issue of enabling the states to continue the scheme of reservation in promotion for the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, the note said.
While the Mayawati-led BSP is making a strong pitch for passage of the bill at the earliest, its arch detractor in the Uttar Pradesh politics -- the Samajwadi Party -- is opposing it tooth and nail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth