Congress shielding PM in coalgate, alleges BJP
Bhopal: The BJP charged the Congress-led UPA government on Friday of shielding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for his alleged role in the coal allocation scam by forcing former Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar to quit his post.
"Everybody knows why Ashwani Kumar had resigned and made amendments in the CBI report. It was just to protect the Prime Minister, since he was looking after the coal portfolio at that time," former union minister and BJP national spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters.
The BJP has demanded the resignation of the Prime Minister on the issue and as part of it, will launch a `jail bharo` campaign from May 27 to June 2 across the country to expose him.
At the time of the scam, the coal department was headed by the Prime Minister and therefore, it was his moral responsibility to resign from his post.
Shahnawaz alleged that the ruling UPA always blamed the BJP for stalling the Parliament, but it was not true, since the BJP was only pressing for the resignation of then Union Railway Minister Pavan Kumar Bansal and Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar for their deeds.
Had they resigned during the session, the house could have functioned smoothly, but the Congress never wanted to complete the Parliament session, he alleged.
On the issue of demand of constituting a Joint Parliamentary Committee for probing the coal block allocation scam, the Congress first wasted an entire session and later formed it during the next session.
Reacting to Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh`s remark about giving autonomy to the CBI, he said that these days nobody, not even the Congress party takes him seriously and therefore he started airing his views through social networking sites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next