Congress should apologise for hate campaign against Narendra Modi: BJP
New Delhi: A day after an Ahmedabad court accepted the SIT closure report giving clean chit to Narendra Modi in the Gulberg Society massacre case, the BJP on Friday demanded an apology from Congress for carrying out a "vilification campaign" against him post Gujarat riots.
The opposition party accused the Congress of "building castles on complete falsehood" through a hate campaign against its prime ministerial nominee Modi, and said it only discussed the 2002 riots in Gujarat and avoided talking about all other communal riots in the country, including 10 in the state under Congress Chief Ministers in which over 1,000 people died.
"Congress should apologise to the nation, and Modi in particular, for carrying out a personal vilification campaign for more than one decade. It is the worst kind of persecution that one can imagine...," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said, adding that the verdict had vindicated Modi and proved his innocence.
The BJP leader said Modi would emerge even stronger despite his repeated persecution at the hands of the Congress, whose "emergency-like mindset" would backfire.
"The court verdict nails the falsehood in the bud. The Congress, in collaboration with pseudo-secular fidayeens continued, with its `Target Modi Campaign` with the help of disgruntled officers and other elements. This campaign should stop now," he said.
The party also criticised Congress for its response to the verdict, saying that this showed how it (Congress) undermined various institutions of the country, including the judiciary.
Javadekar accused the Congress of hatching a conspiracy in filing a complaint against Modi by "misusing" Zakia Jafri`s name, for whom, he said, BJP has all support.
Congress and its "friends" like social activist Teesta Seetalwad tarnished Modi`s image, but he (Modi) has now come out unscathed, the BJP leader said.
"Congress must realise that such hate campaigns do not live long... It will backfire," he said.
Meanwhile in Jammu, BJP leader Nirmala Sitharaman said, "If the Congress is critical of it, let us not forget that the SIT was monitored by the Supreme Court. It is SIT`s report which went to the magistrate`s court in Ahmedabad. Therefore if the Congress is critical of it, we need to understand that they are critical of the Supreme Court decision, SIT and the magistrate`s decision."
"Are they (Congress) questioning the courts of India?" she asked, and added that "this way they want to prove that they have been questioning, challenging and undermining institutions of the country".
On the Centre`s decision to set up an inquiry commission to go into Gujarat snoopgate, Javadekar said the Congress is "unsettled" having realised that it faces a complete rout in the ensuing Lok Sabha elections, thus launched the probe against him.
He said the present situation is similar to that of 1975 when the people were behind the JP movement and ousted the Congress from power, and added that it (Congress) was now adopting the same emergency-like mindset, which will have similar results.
"This is illegal and against the federal structure of the constitutional arrangement. This probe has been ordered without due diligence and without seeking information from the state government," he said.
Speaking on the matter, Sitharaman said, "The formation of the commission is driven by political considerations. It has been appointed with political purposes rather than to look into the truth. We think it is a continuation of the political vindictiveness or a kind of witch-hunt against the Gujarat Chief Minister."
"The so-called snoopgate allegations which are actually coming to the public domain is some kind of sting and investigative journalism without casting aspersions on individuals," she said, adding "these are the very same people who were probably part of the cottage industry indirectly supported by the Congress party to keep propaganda going on against the Chief Minister of Gujarat".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon