Congress slams BJP over Mitra`s remarks against Amartya Sen
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the regret expressed by BJP MP Chandan Mitra for his remarks against Amartya Sen, Congress on Friday slammed the Opposition party, saying it reflects "narrow bigotry" and "fascist" mindset which is intolerant towards freedom of speech.
Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhury said the comments by Mitra that Sen should be asked to return his Bharat Ratna award were condemnable as the Nobel laureate has the right to express his views as a citizen of India.
"Asking for his Bharat Ratna to be returned is condemnable... How shameful it is that the discourse has plunged to such low levels where dignity, respect and more importantly, self-respect is not applied," she said at a press conference here.
Terming Mitra`s comment as "divisive", "insular", "prejudiced" and "fascist" thinking, she said "narrow bigotry infests BJP" and it should be collectively condemned.
She was commenting on Mitra`s remarks that Sen should be stripped off his Bharat Ratna award irrespective of the fact that the BJP MP expressed regret hours earlier.
"Sen spoke and will continue to speak as a citizen of India... He is entitled to speak as an individual and a citizen of India. People who don`t believe in democratic practices and freedom of speech come up with conditionalities," Chowdhury said, saying it reflects intolerance of BJP.
In this context, she likened the "conditionalities" to warranty given for purchase of goods like ceiling fans.
"It is like saying that Bharat Ratna comes with a warranty of 10 years and if you don`t comply with the party line, it will be taken back," she said.
"Is this what Bharat Ratna has been reduced to?.. Is this the message you (BJP) want to send to the youth?... It is a matter of shame that BJP prescribes and subscribes to such thinking," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes