Congress slams Modi for targeting Gandhis, PM
New Delhi: The Congress Monday lashed out at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for attacking Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the Gandhi family.
"The people of India will repel his (Modi`s) utterances with contempt. We do not take him seriously as he is one among the six contenders for the top job in the country which he will not get," Congress spokesperson P.C. Chacko told reporters.
"The prime minister is the most respected head of state. He turned around the economy in the 1990s. Modi`s criticism will boomerang on him and people will not believe him," said Chacko.
Modi had launched a stinging attack on the Congress and accused it of sacrificing the nation`s interest for the Gandhi family and called Manmohan Singh a "night watchman" while addressing the BJP`s national executive meeting here Sunday.
The Congress spokesperson also took a dig at BJP chief Rajnath Singh saying: "The BJP president accused the UPA government of corruption but the credit for (Rajnath Singh) getting his job goes to Purti Ltd. (companies owned by former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari facing allegations of corruption)," said Chacko.
According to Chacko, even the allies (read Janata Dal-United) of the BJP were apprehensive of associating with Modi, who was the toast of the party as a prospective prime ministerial nominee during the national executive meet.
Chacko said Modi`s success in Gujarat, where he won a third consecutive term as chief minister last year, was due to a publicity stunt and not development.
"All the development in Gujarat has taken place due to the welfare schemes of the central government," said Chacko.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day