Congress slams Modi for targeting Gandhis, PM
New Delhi: The Congress Monday lashed out at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for attacking Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the Gandhi family.
"The people of India will repel his (Modi`s) utterances with contempt. We do not take him seriously as he is one among the six contenders for the top job in the country which he will not get," Congress spokesperson P.C. Chacko told reporters.
"The prime minister is the most respected head of state. He turned around the economy in the 1990s. Modi`s criticism will boomerang on him and people will not believe him," said Chacko.
Modi had launched a stinging attack on the Congress and accused it of sacrificing the nation`s interest for the Gandhi family and called Manmohan Singh a "night watchman" while addressing the BJP`s national executive meeting here Sunday.
The Congress spokesperson also took a dig at BJP chief Rajnath Singh saying: "The BJP president accused the UPA government of corruption but the credit for (Rajnath Singh) getting his job goes to Purti Ltd. (companies owned by former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari facing allegations of corruption)," said Chacko.
According to Chacko, even the allies (read Janata Dal-United) of the BJP were apprehensive of associating with Modi, who was the toast of the party as a prospective prime ministerial nominee during the national executive meet.
Chacko said Modi`s success in Gujarat, where he won a third consecutive term as chief minister last year, was due to a publicity stunt and not development.
"All the development in Gujarat has taken place due to the welfare schemes of the central government," said Chacko.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan