Congress slams Modi for targeting Gandhis, PM
New Delhi: The Congress Monday lashed out at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for attacking Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the Gandhi family.
"The people of India will repel his (Modi`s) utterances with contempt. We do not take him seriously as he is one among the six contenders for the top job in the country which he will not get," Congress spokesperson P.C. Chacko told reporters.
"The prime minister is the most respected head of state. He turned around the economy in the 1990s. Modi`s criticism will boomerang on him and people will not believe him," said Chacko.
Modi had launched a stinging attack on the Congress and accused it of sacrificing the nation`s interest for the Gandhi family and called Manmohan Singh a "night watchman" while addressing the BJP`s national executive meeting here Sunday.
The Congress spokesperson also took a dig at BJP chief Rajnath Singh saying: "The BJP president accused the UPA government of corruption but the credit for (Rajnath Singh) getting his job goes to Purti Ltd. (companies owned by former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari facing allegations of corruption)," said Chacko.
According to Chacko, even the allies (read Janata Dal-United) of the BJP were apprehensive of associating with Modi, who was the toast of the party as a prospective prime ministerial nominee during the national executive meet.
Chacko said Modi`s success in Gujarat, where he won a third consecutive term as chief minister last year, was due to a publicity stunt and not development.
"All the development in Gujarat has taken place due to the welfare schemes of the central government," said Chacko.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!