Congress slams Union Minister Shripad Naik`s `pub culture` comment
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Countering Union Minister of State for Tourism, Shripad Naik`s views on `pub culture`, the Congress said on Sunday that the tourism sector will not improve with such steps.
Congress leader Rajeev Shukla told a news agency - “Goa is a tourist spot and if you shut pubs in Goa, which are a highlight, how will the tourism sector improve?”
Goa is a tourist spot & if you shut pubs in Goa, which are a highlight, how will the tourism sector improve?: Rajeev Shukla on Shripad Naik
— ANI (@ANI_news) July 13, 2014
Naik had said yesterday that he was against pubs as they were against the culture of India.
The minister had also said that the local government should look into the matter and that the Central government would not get into it. He wanted the `pub culture` to be controlled as it lead to unwanted things.
He reiterated that anything that went against the culture of the country would not be accepted.
He had added that other branches of tourism needed to be promoted as pub culture was not in the interest of the country.
He comments came at tourism related event at Dona Paula.
Earlier, Goa Minister Sudin Dhavalikar had called for the banning of mini-skirts on the beaches of the state and in night clubs. He had told reporters during an interaction that short skirts were a threat to Goan culture.
Moreover, he had also advised women not to drink as it was not good for their health.
Dhavalikar belongs to the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party. MGP is a coalition partner of the ruling BJP in Goa.
Meanwhile, NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma has reportedly denounced Naik`s comment and called it narrow-mindedness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore