Congress` special status offer to Bihar just politics, says Arun Jaitley
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said on Monday that Congress` assurance for the past two years to Bihar`s ruling JD(U) for special category status to the state was "more political" than being linked to economic necessity.
Jaitley wrote in his blog post, “There are several states in the eastern part of the country which economically have not progressed in comparison to the others. These states have also suffered from natural disadvantages. Their resource mobilization itself has been inadequate. It is therefore natural that these States aspire to get a special category status which will ensure higher central revenues and grants. Bihar has been one such state which has been aspiring for a special category status.”
He added, “On account of division of the original Bihar between Bihar and Jharkhand, natural resources became a part of Jharkhand. The NDA government in all these years in Bihar had repeatedly demanded a special category status for Bihar. Amongst the political parties of Bihar there is a near consensus on this issue.”
Hitting out at the Congress party, the BJP leader wrote, “The Congress in the last two years has held an olive branch to the JD(U) that it was willing to consider the grant of special category status to Bihar. In the 2013 General Budget speech the Finance Minister had in fact indicated that the Government would constitute a committee in order to favourably consider the grant of special category status to Bihar. This assurance was more political than being linked to the economic necessities of Bihar.”
Jaitley further said, “The intention of the UPA was to lead the JD(U) up the garden path that the special category status to Bihar was indeed coming. I do not know how the astute leadership of the JD(U) fell for this. Coincidentally the signaling towards this special category status was also at the same time when the JD(U)-BJP break-up in relationship took place. Once the JD(U) was on its own the special category status did not come. Simultaneously, in the Swayamvar between the RJD and JD(U) the Congress party preferred its old ally.”
He concluded by saying, “Newspaper reports now indicate that the seat sharing between the RJD and the Congress is somewhat stalemated. The JD(U) has organized a state wide protest to demand the special category status. The media has also indicated that the JD(U) may even now attempt an alliance with the Congress, a party which has already double-crossed it on the special category status.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video