Congress stand on two power centres shows PM is `powerless`: BJP
New Delhi: Differing stands in the Congress on two power centres on Wednesday gave BJP a handle to hit out at Manmohan Singh, saying this proves its charge that he was a "powerless" Prime Minister.
Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh, often at the receiving end of many scathing attacks from the main Opposition for his remarks, was lauded by the BJP for saying the two power centre model of Congress has not worked and is not likely to be continued in future.
"Digvijay Singh has tried to clear the misconception in the country. He has said what the BJP, the intellectuals and experts have been saying for a long time- that there are two power centres in this government. Singh has himself confirmed this now," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters.
Singh`s statement was, however, refuted by another Congress General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi who said Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi make an ideal team.
"Such an arrangement creates a situation of indecisiveness. Sonia Gandhi did not give up power but instead became another centre of power," Hussain said.
The BJP said that Manmohan Singh gets all the blame while Sonia Gandhi has no accountability. "She has the power but no responsibility while the Prime Minister has to accept the mistakes. This leads to the PM being called powerless, a puppet and an underachiever," the BJP spokesperson said.
The party maintained that the Prime Minister should be "powerful and should hold the reins of power".
Asked why the party was taking Singh`s remarks so seriously when it has been dismissive about his earlier comments, the BJP MP said if he has now stated the "right thing" it should be accepted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage