Congress steer clears of demands for Puducherry LG`s resignation
New Delhi: With Puducherry Lt Governor
Iqbal Singh landing in a fresh controversy, Congress on Wednesday continued to steer clear of demands for his resignation.
"Congress party has nothing to do with this matter. We
are not responsible for what a constitutional functionary
does," said party spokesperson Jayanti Natrajan.
She was replying to questions on the continuance of
the Lt Governor, a former Congressman, who is under ED scanner
for alleged links to suspected money launderer Hasan Ali Khan.
Singh was caught in a fresh controversy
over the administration`s in-principle clearance for a medical
college to be set up by a trust reportedly linked to him.
The controversy broke out over reports that some
members of the South Educational Trust, which plans to set up
a medical college at Karaikal, were from Singh`s family and
due procedures had not been followed.
The new controversy has erupted even as the Prime
Minister`s Office gave its nod to the Enforcement Directorate
to question Singh for his suspected links with Khan, a stud
farm owner, facing charges of money laundering and tax
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet