Congress sub-group on electoral alliance meets
New Delhi: In the run up to Lok Sabha polls possible earlier than scheduled, Congress on Friday began the search for new allies and friends to help it retain power for a third consecutive time.
Headed by Defence Minister AK Antony, the sub-group on pre-poll alliances, at its first meeting here, deliberated on the current political situation and the way forward for the party in the context on the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
"This was the first meeting of the sub-group on pre-poll alliances...We discussed the current political situation... In UPA-I, we had some allies...In UPA-II, we have some allies. Some have left us, some have joined us," AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi told reporters.
He said the sub-group on pre-poll alliances would continue its deliberations on the political situation and the party`s response to it.
Dwivedi said all the sub-groups were formed for the 2014 elections and the current political situation would be analysed in that context.
The speculation in political circles is that Lok Sabha elections could be held by year-end along with assembly elections in Rajasthan, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
Besides Antony and Dwivedi, the meeting was attended by Mukul Wasnik, Mohan Prakash and Jitendra Singh.
"We are prepared to face elections anytime," Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhury said when asked whether the general budget this year would be the last one to be presented by UPA government.
The sub-group meeting on the issue of coalition took
place over a week after the party`s two-day Chintan Shivir at Jaipur gave a call for uniting secular forces.
At the briefing, Chowdhury was ambivalent on the new allies of Congress.
The sub-group is part of the Congress Coordination Committee headed by Rahul Gandhi for 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Antony has been the Chief Minister of Kerala, which has seen Congress in alliance mode for a long time under the banner of United Democratic Front.
Several ministers, including P Chidmabaram and Manish Tewari, have already said they recognise the reality of the coalitions.
Parties like RJD, LJP were part of UPA-I while Left parties had extended outside support to the ruling coalition between 2004-2008.
Congress has been heading a coalition government at the Centre since 2004.
While Jaipur Declaration of Congress asked all secular and progressive forces to unite in an ideological battle against those who polarise and divide the society, the party chief Sonia Gandhi gave a message for striking a fine balance between forging alliances and strengthening the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark