Congress supported FDI in retail: Sharma
New Delhi: The government may have been
forced to put FDI in multi-brand retail on hold, but Commerce
and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said the decision was taken
out of conviction with full backing of the Congress party.
"Why roll back? We have acted out of conviction ...
carefully thought it through," Sharma said in an interview to a news channel.
The interview was recorded before the announcement by
Trinamool Congress chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee that the controversial decision on allowing 51 per
cent FDI in multi-brand retail has been put on hold till there
is a political consensus.
Sharma thought liberalising the sector would send
positive signals to global investors showing that India "has
When asked whether the decision which was announced in
the midst of Parliament session, had the backing of UPA
Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress General Secretary Rahul
Gandhi, Sharma said the party was one on the issue.
Quizzed by the interviewer Karan Thapar about silence of
Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi on the issue, he said: "Where is
the silence? You think the Congress spokespersons can
articulate complete support without party endorsement.
Congress spokespersons never speak without authorisation of
He said opening of the retail sector to foreign investors
was in the interest of the small farmers and industry and
these segments are close to the Congress leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday