Congress takes a dig at CAG
New Delhi: Ahead of its Working Committee
meeting, Congress today again targeted Comptroller and Auditor General Vinod Rai alleging that some people have the "penchant of seeking to become a hero by adding zeros" in their report.
"The penchant of seeking to become a hero by adding zeros (in their reports) does not mean a scam has taken place," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters here on Monday.
His remarks came on the eve of the meeting of the CWC, the apex policy making body of the party, which will deliberate on the current political situation.
The meeting is significant as it is the first interaction of the CWC in the wake of the government auditor`s report on the coal block allocation issue in which it has spoken of "undue benefits" to private players to the tune of Rs 1.86 lakh crore.
Amid BJP demands for resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress has consistently rejected charges of any wrongdoing in the matter and had accused CAG Vinod Rai of having a political agenda like one of his predecessors TN Chaturvedi.
Chaturvedi`s report on the Bofors issue back in the late 1980s had led to the entire Opposition resigning from the Lok Sabha. Mr Chaturvedi had later joined the BJP and become an MP, and later a governor.
The AICC has also highlighted "repeated errors" being manifested in CAG reports, wondering if the national auditor was "misusing" the credibility ordained to it by the Constitution.
The ruling party had also held the CAG as much responsible as the BJP for the disruption of the Monsoon Session of Parliament on the coal allocation issue.
Replying to questions, Tewari said the Congress and the government were ready for a debate with the opposition on any issue, including the coal issue, FDI in retail and the reform initiative. "We are sure our offer will go unaccepted", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?