Congress takes dig at BJP-JD(U) `rift`
New Delhi: Seeking to fish in troubled waters, Congress on Thursday took potshots at the NDA saying that the "rift" between BJP and JD(U) has come to the fore following RJD`s win in Maharajganj Lok Sabha bypoll in Bihar.
"Rift (between BJP and JDU) was always there. It has now only come to the fore. The reaction of the BJP leaders over the Maharajaganj results showed that they were happier than RJD leaders over Nitish Kumar`s defeat," party spokesperson Shakeel Ahmed told reporters at the AICC.
In a tweet yesterday, Ahmed said, "People say that after Karnataka results, the tooth-ache with which Narendra Modi had begun to suffer has lessened a bit today (Karanatka ke results ke baad Modi Ji ke dant me jo dard shuru hua tha, woh aaj kuchh kam hua hai)".
A day after the deafeat of JD(U )candidate and a close acolyte of Nitish, P K Shahi, in Lok Sabha bypoll, BJP national general secretary Rajiv Pratap Rudy said in Patna today that the Gujarat Chief Minister was required by his party and ally JD(U) to improve prospects in the general elections in Bihar and elsewhere in the country.
His comments came even as Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s antipathy towards Modi is well-known. Not surprisingly, JD(U) general secretary Shivanand Tewari was quick in his riposte saying, "Rudi ji will be knowing better how much the BJP needs Narendra Modi but JD(U) does not need him."
Rumours have been abuzz that the BJP did not participate enthusiastically in the Maharajganj bypoll and contributed to the JDU`s nominee`s defeat after the Bihar Chief Minister`s tirade against Modi.
Apparently seeking to drive a wedge in the Opposition alliance, the Congress spokesperson said it was now for the BJP and JD(U) leaders to say what will be the fate of their alliance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days