Congress takes Narendra Modi`s `khooni panja` barb to Election Commission
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Congress has approached the Election Commission seeking action against BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s `khooni panja` (bloodied hand) and ‘zaalim haath’ (cruel hand) barb against the party.
Congress leaders were reported saying that the Gujarat CM’s taunt was an attempt to malign the Congress’ image and "cause people to fear the party". In its petition to Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath, the party has said that the use of the term `khooni panja` was deplorable and could terrorise the public against Congress.
Congress accused Modi of making "intemperate, malicious and defamatory" remarks by referring to the hand symbol, as "khooni panja" and "jalim haath". It also said that Modi’s barb was a violation of the provisions of the model code of conduct.
The Gujarat Chief Minister had made these comments at a rally at Dongargarh in Chhattisgarh on Thursday. The Congress has given a DVD of Modi`s speech and also clippings of a newspaper report to the EC.
While campaigning in the poll-bound Chhattisgarh, Modi had told the crowd that if they wanted that no shadow of the `khooni panja` should fall over the state then they should vote for the lotus (BJP`s election symbol) and save the state from such a hand.
The move comes days after the Bharatiya Janata Party went to the EC against Rahul Gandhi`s remarks about ISI trying to recruit Muzaffarnagar riots victims. The comment by the Congress vice president had sparked a controversy with the election watchdog issuing a notice to Rahul. Rahul replied to the EC saying that he had not violated the model code of conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state