Congress taunts Narendra Modi over silence on Lalu Prasad`s conviction
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday taunted Narendra Modi over his "silence" on the conviction of RJD chief Lalu Prasad in fodder scam case, claiming that the Gujarat Chief Minister is "not happy" since the order "suits" Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
"Despite his four tweets of yesterday, Narendra Modi`s silence on Lalu Yadav`s conviction shows he isn`t happy because it suits Nitish Kumar," party general secretary Shakeel Ahmed commented on Twitter.
Nitish Kumar`s party JD(U) had walked out of NDA breaking its 17-year-old ties with BJP on June 16, protesting against the elevation of Modi as BJP`s campaign committee chief.
The chasm between BJP and JD(U) widened all the more after Modi was named the Prime Ministerial candidate of the main opposition party.
That Modi and Kumar never shared a comfortable relationship for last few years is a well-known fact. After parting ways with BJP, JD(U) had been alleging some sort of nexus between BJP and RJD in Bihar, which Lalu Prasad`s party has been vehemently denying.
There is a perception in political circles that JD(U) will gain from Prasad`s conviction as it could affect the RJD supremo`s support base.
There is also a growing indication of increasing warmth between Congress and JD(U) with senior leaders from both sides indicating a possible tie-up after the next General Election. However, both the parties have officially downplayed the speculation about a Congress-JD(U) alliance.
Rahul Gandhi`s strong denunciation of the controversial ordinance on convicted lawmakers has also been interpreted in a section of Congress as the party vice president`s reluctance to be seen as protecting the RJD chief from the fallout of the case.
Ahmed is a senior party leader from Bihar, who was a minister in the RJD-Congress alliance government in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28