Congress to downsize staff strength at AICC HQs
New Delhi: In a bid to cut its flab and
reduce mounting expenses, the Congress headquarters here has
offered a Voluntary Retirement Scheme (VRS) to its employees.
The scheme, which opened on July one, offers salary
equivalent to two or three months for every year of service as
an employee of the AICC headquarters. The benefits will also
include normal retirement dues like Provident Fund, Gratuity,
leave encashment etc.
"There were too many workers so VRS was offered. It is
in the interest of the employees," Motilal Vora, party
Sources said that of the around 145 staff at the AICC,
about 60 could accept the VRS offer as it is quite attractive
to those who have put in 20 years of service or more. They
mainly include typists, personal secretaries, clerks and peons
working with the AICC office-bearers.
"This is voluntary in nature. We will see the response
of the offer," a source said when asked whether those not
accepting the VRS would be sacked.
While those who have put in 10 to 15 years of service
are a worried lot, others on the verge of retirement or having
put in more than 20 years are happy.
"We are calculating the amount we are likely to get.
After having served for so long here, the party has recognised
our contributions," said a peon, working with a party
Another employee, who works with a General Secretary
said he was not sure how it would work out. "We will wait,"
was the only response of the worried 40-year old staff.
A party functionary said that the AICC headquarters
will be shifted to Kotla Road in the next two years and the
exercise was necessary as so many employees may not be needed
To bring down the wage bill at the AICC headquarters,
some of the services like cleaning have already been given on
contract. The canteen service has also been given on contract
to a prominent chain of restaurant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it