Congress to downsize staff strength at AICC HQs
New Delhi: In a bid to cut its flab and
reduce mounting expenses, the Congress headquarters here has
offered a Voluntary Retirement Scheme (VRS) to its employees.
The scheme, which opened on July one, offers salary
equivalent to two or three months for every year of service as
an employee of the AICC headquarters. The benefits will also
include normal retirement dues like Provident Fund, Gratuity,
leave encashment etc.
"There were too many workers so VRS was offered. It is
in the interest of the employees," Motilal Vora, party
Sources said that of the around 145 staff at the AICC,
about 60 could accept the VRS offer as it is quite attractive
to those who have put in 20 years of service or more. They
mainly include typists, personal secretaries, clerks and peons
working with the AICC office-bearers.
"This is voluntary in nature. We will see the response
of the offer," a source said when asked whether those not
accepting the VRS would be sacked.
While those who have put in 10 to 15 years of service
are a worried lot, others on the verge of retirement or having
put in more than 20 years are happy.
"We are calculating the amount we are likely to get.
After having served for so long here, the party has recognised
our contributions," said a peon, working with a party
Another employee, who works with a General Secretary
said he was not sure how it would work out. "We will wait,"
was the only response of the worried 40-year old staff.
A party functionary said that the AICC headquarters
will be shifted to Kotla Road in the next two years and the
exercise was necessary as so many employees may not be needed
To bring down the wage bill at the AICC headquarters,
some of the services like cleaning have already been given on
contract. The canteen service has also been given on contract
to a prominent chain of restaurant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal