Congress to move EC on `irregularities` in MP, Chhattisgarh polls
New Delhi: Congress will approach Election Commission on Monday to complain against alleged irregularities during polling in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
A party delegation led AICC general secretary in-charge for Madhya Pradesh Mohan Prakash, Congress campaign committee chief for Chhattisgarh Motilal Vora, MPCC chief Kantilal Bhuria, Madhya Pradesh CLP leader Ajay Singh and AICC secretary K C Mittal will meet Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath in this regard.
Mohan Prakash said there have also been malfunctioning of EVMs and despite these complaints having been brought to the attention of local authorities, no action was taken.
The delegation will also demand that postal ballot should be counted first.
In a meeting with the CEC on November 28, Chhattisgarh PCC chief Charan Das Mahant had told him that the proviso postal ballots could be received even one hour before the counting has created scope for candidates to tap postal voters even after polling is over.
"This opens scope for pressure tactics and manipulation. In closely contested elections, where the margins are often in two or three digits, this can make a lot of difference...To counter such allegations, it is requested that postal ballots be counted before the EVM votes are counted," Mahant had said.
The two-BJP states, where Congress is out of power for last 10 years, has witnessed a direct contest between Congress and BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Forget Freedom 251, here comes another smartphone at Rs 501
- From Swift Dzire, to a BMW: It's dream come true, says PV Sindhu after receiving second car from Sachin Tendulkar
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!