Congress trying to water down probe in coal scam: BJP
Hyderabad: BJP on Saturday asked the Centre to explain why Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s name was not included in the FIR in the coal blocks allocation scam even as it accused the Congress of trying to water down the probe.
"Instead of probing into allegations against the Prime Minister, Congress is trying to water down the investigation and implicate and harass those who exposed its misdeeds," senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said here.
Referring to the naming of former Union Coal Secretary P C Parakh and industrialist Kumar Mangalam Birla in the latest CBI FIR in the scam, Naidu wondered why the Central agency shied away from naming the "competent authority".
"Who is the competent authority? Why is the CBI shying away from naming the competent authority? Competent authority is the Minister. Who is the Minister...Prime Minister! Why is the CBI shy of naming him?" he asked at a press conference.
Maintaining that the coalgate probe might ultimately reach the Prime Minister`s Office, he asserted that the "PMO includes PM". "There is no PMO without the PM. People should understand this. Without PM, can there by a PMO?"
Referring to Parakh`s claim that if he was guilty, the Minister (concerned) was also guilty, the BJP leader demanded that the Congress and CBI respond to it.
"Parakh only proposed...PM approved. But PM is not being questioned. What do you answer to this?" he asked.
"The entire country feels that you (Congress) are doing all this to save the real culprits and hence resorting to diversionary tactics. Even a kid would say CBI stands for Congress Bureau of Investigation."
The Rajya Sabha MP said the Central Government should also explain the inclusion of Birla`s name in the FIR.
Birla has a good reputation. Has his name been included in the FIR because he recently acquired a 46 per cent stake in a leading news magazine? the ex-BJP chief asked.
He noted the magazine has been publishing a series of stories about the country`s dwindling economy, defence issues and also about the "weak PM" in recent times.
"Congress is clearly trying to implicate and harass those who exposed its misdeeds," Naidu alleged.
The FIR has named Parakh and Birla for "criminal conspiracy" with regard to allocation of two coal blocks in Odisha in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly