Congress vows to put up `formidable` candidate against Narendra Modi in Varanasi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Days after the BJP dismissed AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal as no threat to Narendra Modi in Varanasi, Congress on Tuesday vowed to put up a formidable candidate against the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate.
Congress leader Randeep Surjewala said that his party will put up a formidable candidate against Modi in Varanasi.
The name of the Congress candidate will be announced soon, added Surjewala.
Kejriwal has announced that the Aam Aadmi Party wanted him to take on Modi in Varanasi but he would take a final decision in the Hindu holy city on March 23.
A senior AAP leader told a news agency that the party was all for a Kejriwal-Modi fight -- much like the way Kejriwal took on Sheila Dikshit in Delhi.
In a decision aimed at winning the maximum number of Uttar Pradesh`s 80 Lok Sabha seats, the BJP has fielded Modi in Varanasi, one of the holiest of places for Hindus.
The BJP won only 10 Lok Sabha seats in 2009, a performance that eventually spiked its chances of ousting the Congress-led UPA in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar