Congress vows to put up `formidable` candidate against Narendra Modi in Varanasi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Days after the BJP dismissed AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal as no threat to Narendra Modi in Varanasi, Congress on Tuesday vowed to put up a formidable candidate against the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate.
Congress leader Randeep Surjewala said that his party will put up a formidable candidate against Modi in Varanasi.
The name of the Congress candidate will be announced soon, added Surjewala.
Kejriwal has announced that the Aam Aadmi Party wanted him to take on Modi in Varanasi but he would take a final decision in the Hindu holy city on March 23.
A senior AAP leader told a news agency that the party was all for a Kejriwal-Modi fight -- much like the way Kejriwal took on Sheila Dikshit in Delhi.
In a decision aimed at winning the maximum number of Uttar Pradesh`s 80 Lok Sabha seats, the BJP has fielded Modi in Varanasi, one of the holiest of places for Hindus.
The BJP won only 10 Lok Sabha seats in 2009, a performance that eventually spiked its chances of ousting the Congress-led UPA in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog