Congress vows to put up `formidable` candidate against Narendra Modi in Varanasi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Days after the BJP dismissed AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal as no threat to Narendra Modi in Varanasi, Congress on Tuesday vowed to put up a formidable candidate against the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate.
Congress leader Randeep Surjewala said that his party will put up a formidable candidate against Modi in Varanasi.
The name of the Congress candidate will be announced soon, added Surjewala.
Kejriwal has announced that the Aam Aadmi Party wanted him to take on Modi in Varanasi but he would take a final decision in the Hindu holy city on March 23.
A senior AAP leader told a news agency that the party was all for a Kejriwal-Modi fight -- much like the way Kejriwal took on Sheila Dikshit in Delhi.
In a decision aimed at winning the maximum number of Uttar Pradesh`s 80 Lok Sabha seats, the BJP has fielded Modi in Varanasi, one of the holiest of places for Hindus.
The BJP won only 10 Lok Sabha seats in 2009, a performance that eventually spiked its chances of ousting the Congress-led UPA in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town