Congress VP Rahul Gandhi `saddened` by Saharanpur communal riots
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Condemning the eruption of communal violence in Saharanpur district of Uttar Pradesh, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said that politics of hatred must end and it has no place in the country.
“I`m saddened to know about Saharanpur clashes. There is no place for violence, divisiveness and hatred in our country,” said Gandhi while speaking to ANI.
The Gandhi scion further appealed all to refrain themselves from being part of such communal riots. He also said that politics on such affairs should end.
I am deeply saddened to hear of clashes in Saharanpur. Violence, divisiveness and hatred have no place in our country -Rahul Gandhi
— ANI (@ANI_news) July 26, 2014
Violent clashes broke out today between two communities over a land dispute here with the two sides indulging in brick batting and arson, leaving some persons injured and prompting authorities to impose curfew in the district.
The dispute escalated when members of one community started construction work at the site in Kutubsher area in the wee hours this morning, leading to violent clashes.
In a bid to control the situation, police used force and fired rubber bullets.
Heavy force, including police, PAC, RAF has been deployed in the area and paramilitary forces have also been called.
Even as curfew has been clamped, sporadic incidents of clashes were reported and tension prevails.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Hubby Rohit Roy lashes out at wife Dimpy Ganguly’s haters who trolled her for getting pregnant before marriage
- Bollywood celebrities recall Rahul Dev Burman on his 77th birthday
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet to decide final payout for central government employees on June 29
- Apple cheers 2016 Pride celebration with a special rainbow Apple Watch!
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana