Congress won`t call Assembly polls semi-finals for 2014 vote
New Delhi: Congress on Friday voiced confidence that its policies will earn it the mandate in five poll-bound states but rejected the contention that the contest, the first after Narendra Modi was named BJP`s PM candidate, was "semi- final" for 2014 General Elections.
"There is nothing like semifinal or quarter final. For us every election is final in itself. We consider these elections as final as far as they are concerned.
"We will go to elections on our programmes and policies and we are hopeful that we will get the mandate," party spokesperson Meem Afzal told reporters.
While Congress is in power in Delhi, Rajasthan and Mizoram, BJP rules Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
The spokesperson dismissed queries on whether Congress will consider the result of these assembly elections as an indication of the people`s verdict for the next government at the Centre since these state elections come after BJP declared Narendra Modi as its Prime Ministerial candidate.
"Congress does not fight elections keeping in mind any one person," he curtly said.
To a question on whether Congress will fight assembly election in Delhi under the leadership of Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit, the spokesperson said that "it is obvious that she is our Chief Minister."
"In party, elections are fought under over-all Congress leadership to which Dikshit also belongs. Shiela is a big leader," he added.
Assembly elections will be held in Delhi, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram and Chhattisgarh from November 11, the Election Commission announced today.
While Chhattisgarh will have a two-phase polling on November 11 and November 19, the remaining states will have a single-phase poll.
Delhi and Mizoram will go to polls on December 4, Madhya Pradesh on November 25 and Rajasthan on December one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested