Consensus in NAC on food security, says member
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory
Council (NAC) on Monday reached a consensus on the final framework
of the draft food security bill that aims to make legal
entitlement of foodgrains to the poor.
"We have reached a consensus on the final framework of the
Food Security Bill," a NAC member said on condition of
The draft bill is expected to be made public within 10
The NAC discussed its earlier recommendation of covering
75 per cent households across the country under legal
entitlement for providing subsidised foodgrains.
A predominant view in the meeting was that the final
recommendations be supported with more analytical content and
the Working Group on Food Security was asked to revise its
note on the subject for consideration at the next meeting on
Voicing concern over the exclusion of domestic workers
from the purview of the Protection of Women against Sexual
Harassment at Workplace Bill, the NAC sought amendments to
certain clauses of the draft legislation.
"Given the fear of reprisal, which routinely prevents
women from coming forward to seek protection against sexual
harassment at the work place, the safeguards provided to them
by this Bill are weakened by the inclusion of Clause 14
(Punishment for false or malicious complaint and false
evidence), which might deter victims from seeking protection
of the proposed legislation," the NAC said in a statement.
The NAC also decided to constitute a Working Group of its
members to evolve an integrated and holistic approach to
provide safeguards and security to domestic workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'
- Erdogan says EU `biased and prejudiced` towards Turkey after coup bid
- Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader appeals sentence
- Cambodia blocking ASEAN consensus on South China Sea: Diplomat
- Turkey can hold suspects without charge for up to 30 days
- Piramal Enterprises to raise Rs 300 cr via non-convertible debentures