Consensus should be built on compulsory voting: BJP
New Delhi: BJP President Nitin Gadkari on Monday
batted for making voting in elections compulsory but only
after a consensus was arrived at among political parties.
Chief Election Commissioner Navin Chawla has, however,
said it is almost impossible to enforce compulsory voting at
the national level during Lok Sabha and Assembly polls.
Talking to reporters here, Gadkari maintained that BJP
"in principle" supports compulsory voting but the issue should
be discussed among political parties to arrive at a wider
political consensus before implementing the idea.
"The government and the EC should initiate electoral
reforms before the 2014 elections," he said and suggested
periodic revision of electoral rolls to remove anomalies.
Gadkari`s contention, however, does not have support of
some of the NDA constituents like JD(U) which has argued that
daily wage labourers may face problems in voting if it was
made compulsory as they would lose a day`s earnings and those
working in the interior regions may have to travel long
distances to exercise their franchise.
The EC, which is celebrating its 60th anniversary, and
the government are contemplating certain changes in the
A private member`s Bill, moved by V Narayansamy (Cong),
on making voting compulsory is already pending in Parliament.
The new BJP President also said paper back-up of votes
cast in EVM should also be kept. BJP has made several
petitions to the EC on the issue and believes EVMs can be
tampered with and evade detection. Gadkari agreed that
criminals should not be allowed in politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened