Consider retired officer for appointment: Tribunal
New Delhi: The Armed Forces Tribunal has
asked the Defence Ministry to consider a Lieutenant General,
who retired on August 31, for the top post of the armed forces
Hearing a fresh plea filed by Lt Gen Pradeep Bhargava,
the Tribunal Bench headed by Chairperson Justice A K Mathur
said if the post of Director General, Armed Forces Medical
Services (DG, AFMS) is lying vacant since July when the Lt Gen
was in service, then he should also be considered for
The post had fallen vacant on July 1 this year after
the retirement of Lt Gen Naresh Parmar but till now the
Ministry has not held the promotion board to fill up the
vacancy and Lt Gen Naresh Kumar is the officiating DG, AFMS.
Earlier in May this year, Bhargava had approached the
Tribunal seeking quashing of changes made in the annual
confidential report of Kumar, contending that it would hurt
his chances of becoming the DG, AFMS.
The Bench, headed by Justice S S Kulshreshtha and Lt
Gen (retd) S S Dhillon, had declined any relief to him and
observed there was "no cause of action". It said the redressal
given to Kumar in his ACR was not impacting Bhargava.
Bhargava had contended that he was senior to Kumar but
the redressal given to him in his ACR would make him junior as
he would be considered for promotion from Maj Gen to Lt Gen
rank from a back date.
The medical arm of the services is under the Defence
An officer gets two more years in service after his
appointment as DG, AFMS.
Another retired three-star officer-- Air Marshal
Madhusudanan, has also approached the Tribunal for being
appointed as the DG, AFMS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks