Conspiracy to tarnish Modi`s image: BJP on Cong raking up Ishrat issue
New Delhi: BJP on Monday attacked the Congress-led UPA government for raking up the Ishrat Jahan encounter killing case and charged there is a conspiracy to tarnish the image of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"There is a conspiracy to always target Modi to tarnish his image. This is seen in the manner in which this government is working. The Ishrat Jahan encounter took place in 2004. The case was handed over to CBI in 2011. The affidavit, filed when Shivraj Patil was Union Home Minister, and was sought to be changed," BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi told reporters.
BJP questioned how CBI could interrogate Rajendra Kumar, an IB official, in the encounter case.
"IB and RAW are above CBI in hierarchy. So, who is CBI to interrogate an IB official? Security cover is very important part of intelligence agencies," Lekhi said.
The BJP leader maintained the UPA government has been changing its chargesheet in several high-profile cases with passage of time. Central agencies like CBI and NIA are "misused" for filing subsequent chargesheets, Lekhi alleged.
She also maintained that NIA has "no foot soldiers and no wherewithal" to handle terror cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video