Conspiracy to tarnish Modi`s image: BJP on Cong raking up Ishrat issue
New Delhi: BJP on Monday attacked the Congress-led UPA government for raking up the Ishrat Jahan encounter killing case and charged there is a conspiracy to tarnish the image of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"There is a conspiracy to always target Modi to tarnish his image. This is seen in the manner in which this government is working. The Ishrat Jahan encounter took place in 2004. The case was handed over to CBI in 2011. The affidavit, filed when Shivraj Patil was Union Home Minister, and was sought to be changed," BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi told reporters.
BJP questioned how CBI could interrogate Rajendra Kumar, an IB official, in the encounter case.
"IB and RAW are above CBI in hierarchy. So, who is CBI to interrogate an IB official? Security cover is very important part of intelligence agencies," Lekhi said.
The BJP leader maintained the UPA government has been changing its chargesheet in several high-profile cases with passage of time. Central agencies like CBI and NIA are "misused" for filing subsequent chargesheets, Lekhi alleged.
She also maintained that NIA has "no foot soldiers and no wherewithal" to handle terror cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow