Constitution Amendment Bill defeated in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi`s idea of conferring
Constitutional status to Lokpal tonight failed to carry
conviction in the Lok Sabha much like his father Rajiv
Gandhi`s Panchayati Raj Bill 22 years ago.
The Constitution (116th Amendment) Bill was defeated in
the Lok Sabha by a determined Opposition, helped by the
absence of parties supporting the government from outside like
SP, BSP and RJD.
It was a repeat of the scenes in Rajya Sabha in 1989 when
the Opposition combined to defeat the statute amendment bill
to confer Constitutional status to Panchayat Raj institutions.
Soon after the late Prime Minister dissolved Lok Sabha
and went to polls which his party lost.
But a bill to confer Constitutional status to Panchayati
Raj instititutions was passed after the Congress returned to
power in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter