Constitution Amendment Bill defeated in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi`s idea of conferring
Constitutional status to Lokpal tonight failed to carry
conviction in the Lok Sabha much like his father Rajiv
Gandhi`s Panchayati Raj Bill 22 years ago.
The Constitution (116th Amendment) Bill was defeated in
the Lok Sabha by a determined Opposition, helped by the
absence of parties supporting the government from outside like
SP, BSP and RJD.
It was a repeat of the scenes in Rajya Sabha in 1989 when
the Opposition combined to defeat the statute amendment bill
to confer Constitutional status to Panchayat Raj institutions.
Soon after the late Prime Minister dissolved Lok Sabha
and went to polls which his party lost.
But a bill to confer Constitutional status to Panchayati
Raj instititutions was passed after the Congress returned to
power in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP