Constitution Amendment Bill defeated in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi`s idea of conferring
Constitutional status to Lokpal tonight failed to carry
conviction in the Lok Sabha much like his father Rajiv
Gandhi`s Panchayati Raj Bill 22 years ago.
The Constitution (116th Amendment) Bill was defeated in
the Lok Sabha by a determined Opposition, helped by the
absence of parties supporting the government from outside like
SP, BSP and RJD.
It was a repeat of the scenes in Rajya Sabha in 1989 when
the Opposition combined to defeat the statute amendment bill
to confer Constitutional status to Panchayat Raj institutions.
Soon after the late Prime Minister dissolved Lok Sabha
and went to polls which his party lost.
But a bill to confer Constitutional status to Panchayati
Raj instititutions was passed after the Congress returned to
power in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened