Constitution Amendment Bill defeated in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi`s idea of conferring
Constitutional status to Lokpal tonight failed to carry
conviction in the Lok Sabha much like his father Rajiv
Gandhi`s Panchayati Raj Bill 22 years ago.
The Constitution (116th Amendment) Bill was defeated in
the Lok Sabha by a determined Opposition, helped by the
absence of parties supporting the government from outside like
SP, BSP and RJD.
It was a repeat of the scenes in Rajya Sabha in 1989 when
the Opposition combined to defeat the statute amendment bill
to confer Constitutional status to Panchayat Raj institutions.
Soon after the late Prime Minister dissolved Lok Sabha
and went to polls which his party lost.
But a bill to confer Constitutional status to Panchayati
Raj instititutions was passed after the Congress returned to
power in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?