Constitution Amendment Bill defeated in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi`s idea of conferring
Constitutional status to Lokpal tonight failed to carry
conviction in the Lok Sabha much like his father Rajiv
Gandhi`s Panchayati Raj Bill 22 years ago.
The Constitution (116th Amendment) Bill was defeated in
the Lok Sabha by a determined Opposition, helped by the
absence of parties supporting the government from outside like
SP, BSP and RJD.
It was a repeat of the scenes in Rajya Sabha in 1989 when
the Opposition combined to defeat the statute amendment bill
to confer Constitutional status to Panchayat Raj institutions.
Soon after the late Prime Minister dissolved Lok Sabha
and went to polls which his party lost.
But a bill to confer Constitutional status to Panchayati
Raj instititutions was passed after the Congress returned to
power in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh