Constitution Amendment Bill on clemency tabled
New Delhi: A Constitution amendment bill which seeks to withdraw the powers of the President to grant clemency to rape convicts and those found guilty of waging a war against the country was introduced by a member in the Lok Sabha on Friday.
The draft legislation was among the 20 private members` bills introduced in the House.
The Constitutional (Amendment) Bill-2013, introduced by Hansraj Ahir (BJP), seeks to insert a new article 72A in the Constitution to provide that the power of the President to grant pardons shall not apply to the punishment or sentence of any person convicted of any offence relating to sedition, terrorist activities or crime against women.
Ahir also introduced a Bill that seeks to make the right to employment a fundamental right.
Bhola Singh (BJP) introduced The Indian Penal Code (Amendment) Bill that seeks to make death due to rash and negligent driving punishable as murder.
"The deaths caused by rash and negligent driving should be considered as murder ... And the offender should be punished accordingly," the Bill said.
J P Agarwal (Cong) introduced the Bureau of Accountability Bill to suggest measures to rooting out corruption and making the administration efficient.
Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo (BJD) introduced the Disclosure of Lobbying Activities Bill that seeks to set up an authority for registration of lobbyists.
It also seeks to provide for disclosure of lobbying activities that influence legislative and executive decision-making in order to increase transparency in governance.
Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar (Trinamool) introduced the Jute Growers (Remunerative Price and Welfare) Bill to provide for payment of remunerative price for raw jute to the jute growers, insurance of jute crop free of cost and for overall welfare of jute growers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi