`Constitution amendment may erode power of states`
New Delhi: Key UPA allies DMK and Trinamool Congress on Wednesday expressed apprehensions that the Constitution Amendment Bill may erode the powers of states which are derived from the federal setup of the country.
"I am afraid that this Bill may erode the strength of the
state governments...I would like to make it clear that our
nation is functioning in a federal setup. Federal structure
has to be honoured," DMK`s KP Ramalingam said in the debate
at the Rajya Sabha.
Noting that co-operative societies come under control of
states, the DMK MP said, "I have a doubt as to what is the
need to bring this Bill now?...I would like to ask whether
this amendment is necessary at this time. If so, will it not
deprive the state governments of their power?"
He said if the state governments are deprived of all of
their powers, "gradually, I fear that it will lead the state
governments to demand autonomy."
Ramalingam, in his speech in Tamil, said it does not
matter whether it is one party or of multi-parties rule, "it
has to be clear that our nation is functioning in a federal
"In a federal structure, the powers of the state
governments have to be given due regard. They should not be
deprived of their rights," he said.
Taking part in the debate, Trinamool MP D Bandyopadhyay
said to some extent, he agreed with Pyari Mohan Mohapatra
(BJD), who had opposed the Bill saying it was not required and
would encroach upon the rights of the state.
"To some extent, I support my friend Mohapatra, that it
should not have gone into so much of details. Give a format
and leave it to the states to do it. Basically, it is a State
Subject except the multi-state cooperatives, for which you can
have a complete law," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA