Constitution gives wide choice of languages in oath-taking
New Delhi: Legislators of the Maharashtra
Navnirman Sena may have targeted a Samajwadi member for not
taking oath in Marathi, but elected representatives have been
given a wide choice of languages spoken across the country for
oath-taking by the Constitution.
Members of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha can take oath
of affirmation in as many as 22 languages, Parliament sources
said, adding that members can take oath in all languages,
included in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution, apart
from Hindi, the national language, and English.
Eighth Schedule gives official status to 22 languages.
Until the Abu Asim Azmi incident in Maharashtra, there
has generally been no pandemonium or uproar during oath taking
in any of the state assemblies or Parliament, the sources
"Perhaps there was never ever any incident in which the
language used by members in oath taking was made an issue,"
"There is some sanctity attached to oath-taking," the
sources said adding that there are provisions in the
Constitution on oath-taking in Parliament and state
Four MNS members in Maharashtra Assembly assaulted SP MLA
Abu Asim Azmi yesterday for taking oath in Hindi instead of
Marathi and were suspended for four years, which is seen as an
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway