‘Constitutional agencies in conspiracy against PM’
Kanpur: Union Minister Shriprakash Jaiswal on Saturday alleged some "constitutional agencies and big personalities were involved in a conspiracy to tarnish the image" of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
He said those asking for Singh`s resignation should themselves resign first as the constitution allows anyone to contest elections.
Speaking at a press conference here in the backdrop of the controversy over CAG report on coal blocs allocation, Jaiswal, Coal Minister, said there was "a conspiracy to tarnish the image of the Prime Minister in which big persons and constitutional agencies were involved".
Asked to name the agencies, he responded "you know them very well".
Jaiswal said "the Prime Minister was known for his exemplary honesty and integrity and those alleging a multi-crore coal mining scam were making baseless accusations and disrupting Parliament for petty politics".
He said the issue should be debated in Parliament and whatever comes out of that debate would be acted upon.
When a reporter said that Rahul Gandhi should play a bigger role at a "crisis" time for Congress party, Jaiswal said "we all want him to assume bigger responsbilities and he is doing his job in a calm and composed manner".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!