Constitutional Lokpal a delaying tactic: Team Anna
New Delhi: Questioning government`s move to
make the Lokpal a Constitutional authority, Team Anna on Wednesday said it was a tactic to delay or avoid its passage and "fool"
"If government is serious on Lokpal, it should first pass
the bill by Winter Session. Constitutional status is a sure
means to delay or avoid the passage of the bill," activist
Kiran Bedi said.
Bedi was responding to Law Minister Salman Khurshid`s
revelation last night that government
intends to make the Lokpal a Constitutional authority which
will be "more powerful" than the Election Commission".
For this purpose, he said a Constitutional amendment bill
is to be introduced in the Winter Session of Parliament
starting next month and the Lokpal legislation is expected to
be approved in the same session.
Bedi said the plans to make Lokpal a Constitutional
authority was like "putting the cart before the horse. It`s
like, no bread (but) keep waiting for the illusionary cake.
Who are they fooling?"
The move for a Constitutional body is a follow-up to the
proposal made by AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi at last
month`s Lok Sabha debate on Lokpal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan