Constitutional Lokpal a delaying tactic: Team Anna
New Delhi: Questioning government`s move to
make the Lokpal a Constitutional authority, Team Anna on Wednesday said it was a tactic to delay or avoid its passage and "fool"
"If government is serious on Lokpal, it should first pass
the bill by Winter Session. Constitutional status is a sure
means to delay or avoid the passage of the bill," activist
Kiran Bedi said.
Bedi was responding to Law Minister Salman Khurshid`s
revelation last night that government
intends to make the Lokpal a Constitutional authority which
will be "more powerful" than the Election Commission".
For this purpose, he said a Constitutional amendment bill
is to be introduced in the Winter Session of Parliament
starting next month and the Lokpal legislation is expected to
be approved in the same session.
Bedi said the plans to make Lokpal a Constitutional
authority was like "putting the cart before the horse. It`s
like, no bread (but) keep waiting for the illusionary cake.
Who are they fooling?"
The move for a Constitutional body is a follow-up to the
proposal made by AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi at last
month`s Lok Sabha debate on Lokpal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media
- Gun battle kills five militants, wounds 10 in Afghanistan