Consult global experts for rehabilitation: Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Governor Aziz Qureshi has asked the Centre to take the advice of global experts and prepare a scientific plan of action for the rehabilitation and reconstruction of areas devastated in the recent calamity.
Qureshi made the suggestion during a meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi on Tuesday.
Global experts should be consulted and a scientific model prepared to rehabilitate the affected areas in the state, the Governor said while giving Singh detailed information on the great destruction caused by the natural calamity which hit the hill state in June.
In his half-an-hour meeting with the Prime Minister, Qureshi gave suggestions about the reconstruction and development of disaster?affected areas as per the advice of geological experts, an official release here said.
He also underlined the need for rebuilding of damaged roads by BRO as soon as possible, using latest environment-friendly techniques.
The Governor also presented important proposals before the Prime Minister to redevelop the Char Dhams.
He said the Char Dhams, the symbol of the faith of crores pf people, should be developed keeping in mind traditional knowledge and expectations of holy men and devotees.
There should be no construction allowed within 500 metres around the shrines and afforestation must be undertaken in the area, he said.
Keeping in mind the geological conditions of the state and the lessons learnt from the recent calamity, the construction on the yatra routes should be carried out in a safe and scientific manner, Qureshi said.
Pilgrims and vehicular traffic would have to be organised and controlled on the lines of Vaishno Devi and Tirupati, he said.
The Governor also informed the Prime Minister about the obstacles being faced in relief and rehabilitation efforts due to bad weather and due to roads and bridges having been damaged or destroyed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Sensex soars 576 points to log biggest one-day rally in nearly 3 months
- Have you seen Deepika Padukone's cute video DP yet? Watch now
- Revealed: How terrorists posing as Afghan medical tourists had planned to attack Delhi
- Gautam Deb: The man behind Mamata's successful Mission North Bengal
- UP CM Akhilesh Yadav non-committal on liquor ban, asks people to drink less