Consultation begins on ILO convention on right to organise
New Delhi: A series of consultation on ratifying a key ILO convention concerning workers` rights to organise and collectively bargain has been initiated to evolve a consensus on the issue, sources in the Labour and Employment Ministry said.
The consultation is in regard to ratification of ILO Conventions No 98 concerning `Protection of the right to organise and collective bargaining`.
Ratification of ILO convention 98 seeks to ensure that all categories of workers in India are entitled to the freedom of association and collective bargaining rights, something which is being opposed from a section in the industry as well as from within the government.
The sources said deliberations are on to evolve a consensus on the issue as ratification would lead to enactment of laws which would be in conformity with the principles contained in the conventions.
At present, about 160 member states of the ILO have ratified the convention.
Recently, Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge had also pointed to the deliberation that was being initiated for ratification of the convention.
He also said that his Ministry has begun talks on ratifying ILO Convention No 155 concerning occupational safety and health.
The Minister`s announcement came in wake of government approving amendment to the Child Labour Act to align it with ILO Convention No 138 concerning minimum age and No 182 concerning worst forms of labour.
The amendment had put a complete ban on employment of children up to the age of 14 both in hazardous and non-hazardous work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!