Contours of Rail Tariff Authority finalized
New Delhi: Railways has finalised the contours of the proposed Rail Tariff Authority (RTA) on fare rationalisation amid indications that the proposal could be placed before the Union Cabinet soon.
According to sources, the RTA will be a five-member body headed by its Chairman. While a current Railway Board Memeber is being tipped to head the regulatory body, four other members are being shortlisted.
The RTA, the first of its kind for railways, will susggest the level of tariff for both the freight and passenger fares from time to time taking into account the input cost (diesel and elctricity) and volatile market conditions.
The RTA, mooted by former Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress MP Dinesh Trivedi in his rail budget 2012-13, is being actively pursued by present Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal and percieved to be the first major step towards delinking railways financial health from politics.
The proposal will be sent for ministerial consultations before it is put up before the cabinet, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!