Controversial godman Swami Nityananda walks free
Ramanagara: Controversial self-styled
godman Swami Nityananda Saturday walked free after spending 53
days in jail on rape and other criminal charges, a day after
Karnataka High Court granted him bail.
Nityananda and his close aide Gopala Reddy alias Bhakta
Nityananda, who also had been enlarged on bail, were released
after they complied with conditions slapped for their release
by the High Court yesterday.
Soon after Nityananda and Reddy came out of Ramanagara
jail, they were taken in a car to their Ashram at Bidadi.
Counsels for Nityananda submitted the required documents
before District Magistrate Pushpavathi at her residence as
today being a government holiday on account of second
While granting bail, Justice Subhash B Adi had observed
that Nityananda had fallen short of his image as a spiritual
head and restrained him from conducting spiritual preaching
classes except yoga and meditation.
He was also restrained from leaving jurisdiction of
police without informing and asked to appear before the
jurisdictional police station once in 15 days.
While Nityananda furnished a personal bond of Rs 1 lakh
and two sureties of the like sum, Reddy submitted Rs 50,000
surety for his release.
Nityananda was arrested by CID from a place in Solan
taluk in Himachal Pradesh on April 21.
Nityananda eluded police after a private TV channel in
Chennai telecast purported video footage of him in a
compromising position with a Tamil actress in March.
Tamil Nadu police had registered cases including rape
against him before they transferred them to their counterparts
in Karnataka which handed over the probe to CID.
Police had sent the CD to Central Forensic Science
Laboratory Hyderabad for analysis where it was found to be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!