Controversial Marriage Laws (Amendment) Bill referred to GoM
New Delhi: The controversial Marriage Laws (Amendment) Bill was on Wednesday referred to a Group of Ministers after differences cropped up over clauses dealing with a woman`s right to marital property in case of divorce.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, deliberated at length on the proposed legislation but failed to arrive at a consensus and the matter was then referred to a GoM.
The Law Ministry had suggested that a woman be given a share in residential property of the husband, including inherited and inheritable premises, in case of divorce.
The Ministry of Women and Child Development has suggested that a woman`s right to inheritable property and property acquired by the husband before marriage be kept out of the purview of the law.
The ministers discussed the amendments for over two hours during the meeting of the Cabinet.
"When thinking men and women present different opinions, different opinions do not mean difference of opinion," Finance Minister P Chidambaram said when asked whether the Cabinet was split on the matter.
"Views are expressed in a Cabinet and after expressing views, the Prime Minister takes the final decision. In this case the matter has been referred to a Group of Ministers to look at one or two clauses of the Bill," he said.
The GoM would examine the clauses over the next few days and the Bill will come back before the Cabinet, he said.
Even as the Cabinet was discussing the matter, a small group of protestors shouted slogans against the Bill outside the Prime Minister`s official residence.
They were rounded up by the police and taken away from the high security zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...