Controversial NCTC may take some more time
New Delhi: The controversial NCTC, a pet project of former Home Minister P Chidambaram, may take some more time to actualise with his successor Sushilkumar Shinde directing ministry officials to wait till Parliament approves the proposed amendment to the anti-terror law UA(P)A.
Shinde has conveyed to Home Ministry officials that efforts to bring a consensus on setting up of NCTC, which has faced strong opposition from several states, should be made only after Parliament approves the proposed amendment in Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
With the amendment, the government intends to make UA(P)A more effective in preventing unlawful financial activities, money laundering, terror financing and circulation of Fake Indian Currency Notes and term such acts as terror activities.
The proposals on UA(P)A were approved by the Union Cabinet after taking nod from all states and though it was introduced in Monsoon Session of Parliament, it could not be taken up for consideration due to the disruption of House proceedings. The Bill is expected to be tabled in Winter Session of Parliament beginning next month.
Sources said though Shinde, who was given a thorough presentation on the NCTC, was initially inclined to hold a conference of Chief Ministers to allay their apprehensions and apprise them of the revised plan for the anti-terror hub, but later he appears to have changed his mind.
"There is no movement on NCTC. We have been told to wait till UAP(A) is amended," a source said.
Those who opposed the NCTC include Chief Ministers Mamata Banerjee (West Bengal), Naveen Patnaik (Odisha), J Jayalalitha (Tamil Nadu) and Narendra Modi (Gujarat).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands