Controversy erupts over Mamata`s entry route; ignored advice, says police
New Delhi: A controversy broke out on Wednesday over whether or not West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who was heckled by Left activists yesterday, ignored an advice to enter the Planning Commission building through the VIP gate.
The Delhi Police conveyed to the Union Home Ministry that Banerjee ignored the advice to enter the Commission premises in the heart of the Capital through the VIP gate and instead came though a main gate where she along her Finance Minister Amit Mitra were gheraoed by the activists of CPI-M and SFI.
The Chief Minister while criticising the Delhi Police for not being able to prevent the incident, however, dismissed reports she was asked by the police to enter through another gate and avoid the one where an angry demonstration was being held.
When asked about these reports, the fiery Trinamool Congress supremo said, "Not at all. Do you think I am a beggar? I never bow down my head. I consider myself as an LIP (Less Important Person) than a VIP."
In its report, the Delhi Police said that on learning about the protests, the Planning Commission officials requested the West Bengal government officials to advice Banerjee to enter the building only through the VIP gate which has been secured as the protesters had gathered in front of the main gate.
However, ignoring the advice, the Chief Minister got down from the car and walked down towards the gate to enter the building, the report said.
Upon seeing the Chief Minister, the CISF personnel, who are tasked with protecting government buildings, unlocked the main gate and allowed her entry inside. The gate was quickly locked again, the report said.
However, Mitra, who was following Banerjee, was gheraoed by the protesters who manhandled him and tore his shirt before he could reach the gate.
The security men immediately threw a ring around Mitra, escorted him inside the building after again unlocking the gate, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state