Controversy over Jaswant and Yashwant nomination on JPC?
New Delhi: Questions were raised on Friday over
the nomination of senior leaders Jaswant Singh and Yashwant
Sinha by BJP in the JPC to probe the 2G spectrum scam with
Congress planning to make it an issue.
A Congress leader, who declined to be named, questioned
the nomination of Singh and Sinha on the high level committee
by the BJP noting that the two were associated with the
telecom policy during the BJP-led NDA rule.
While Singh had headed a Group of Ministers on issues
concerning telecom, Sinha was the Finance Minister whose
ministry was involved in the policy making on telecom, the
leader, who is also a senior Union Minister, said.
He noted that the opposition party should not have
nominated the two leaders on the committee in order to avoid a
conflict of interest given the fact that the JPC is looking
into the issues concerning telecom from 1998 which included
the NDA rule.
The Congress leader said that it was wrong for the two
leaders to be associated with the JPC and they should have
declined the party`s nomination in keeping with lofty
Asked whether it meant that the two leaders will have to
recuse when the issues concrning NDA rule come up for
discussion in the JPC, he said the matter would certainly
To a query whether Singh and Sinha could be summoned by
the JPC, the leader said the fact remained that the two
leaders could influence the JPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply