Cops question UP officials over Salman Khurshid trust
Lucknow: Officials of Uttar Pradesh`s social welfare and handicapped welfare departments were Monday questioned in 17 districts over alleged financial lapses by a trust run by union Law Minister Salman Khurshid and his wife Louise.
Officials told a news agency that four teams of the economic offences wing of police were sent to different districts and they questioned employees of the handicapped welfare department and took possession of some documents.
A police official said the action was "necessary to get to the bottom of the whole matter".
"A probe was ordered into the issue July 3 and the investigations have gone beyond the preliminary stage... we have gathered a lot of papers and at an appropriate time we will be sharing these findings with the departments," an official added.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said he would not like to comment on the matter as a probe was already underway.
"The probe into the complaints began under the previous government and was still on. Till it is on, I will not like to comment," Yadav added.
The chief minister refused to comment on India Against Corruption (IAC) activist Arvind Kejriwal`s allegation that the state government was out to scuttle the probe.
The Khurshid-run Zakir Husain Trust was accused of embezzling funds meant for equipment for the disabled and of forging letters and signatures of government officials in affidavits submitted to the union social justice and empowerment ministry. Khurshid has denied the charges.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata