Cops question UP officials over Salman Khurshid trust
Lucknow: Officials of Uttar Pradesh`s social welfare and handicapped welfare departments were Monday questioned in 17 districts over alleged financial lapses by a trust run by union Law Minister Salman Khurshid and his wife Louise.
Officials told a news agency that four teams of the economic offences wing of police were sent to different districts and they questioned employees of the handicapped welfare department and took possession of some documents.
A police official said the action was "necessary to get to the bottom of the whole matter".
"A probe was ordered into the issue July 3 and the investigations have gone beyond the preliminary stage... we have gathered a lot of papers and at an appropriate time we will be sharing these findings with the departments," an official added.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said he would not like to comment on the matter as a probe was already underway.
"The probe into the complaints began under the previous government and was still on. Till it is on, I will not like to comment," Yadav added.
The chief minister refused to comment on India Against Corruption (IAC) activist Arvind Kejriwal`s allegation that the state government was out to scuttle the probe.
The Khurshid-run Zakir Husain Trust was accused of embezzling funds meant for equipment for the disabled and of forging letters and signatures of government officials in affidavits submitted to the union social justice and empowerment ministry. Khurshid has denied the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report