Cops question UP officials over Salman Khurshid trust
Lucknow: Officials of Uttar Pradesh`s social welfare and handicapped welfare departments were Monday questioned in 17 districts over alleged financial lapses by a trust run by union Law Minister Salman Khurshid and his wife Louise.
Officials told a news agency that four teams of the economic offences wing of police were sent to different districts and they questioned employees of the handicapped welfare department and took possession of some documents.
A police official said the action was "necessary to get to the bottom of the whole matter".
"A probe was ordered into the issue July 3 and the investigations have gone beyond the preliminary stage... we have gathered a lot of papers and at an appropriate time we will be sharing these findings with the departments," an official added.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said he would not like to comment on the matter as a probe was already underway.
"The probe into the complaints began under the previous government and was still on. Till it is on, I will not like to comment," Yadav added.
The chief minister refused to comment on India Against Corruption (IAC) activist Arvind Kejriwal`s allegation that the state government was out to scuttle the probe.
The Khurshid-run Zakir Husain Trust was accused of embezzling funds meant for equipment for the disabled and of forging letters and signatures of government officials in affidavits submitted to the union social justice and empowerment ministry. Khurshid has denied the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’