Corporations behind Modi for PM campaign: Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: National Democratic Alliance (NDA) convener and senior Janata Dal (United) leader Sharad Yadav said there is a need to hunt for the prime ministerial candidate, referring to the constant buzz in the media about Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi being the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate.
He said, “It is as though this is some sort of nuclear research,” he observed in his characteristic acerbic tone. He reiterated that the NDA has “not discussed, not decided” on who would be its prime ministerial candidate.
Yadav felt that this talk about Modi was being fanned by some of the corporates — “not all the corporates are involved in this,” he asserted — and that the media houses were playing up the issue.
He warned that the corporates were playing with fire when they engage in political questions. “Don’t play politics. They (the corporates) cannot control Parliament,” he said. He said it is the people of India who will decide the 543 members who would be elected to the Lok Sabha.
He mocked at the media for being so enthusiastic about Modi becoming the prime minister, citing the Urdu saying “begaane ke shaadi mein Abdullah diwana (Going ecstatic over a stranger’s marriage)”.
He said there were more burning issues like unemployment, rising prices and idleness of the work force, and that the issue of who would be prime minister is not a life-and-death question.
Yadav clarified that the national agenda of the NDA did not include contentious issues like the Ayodhya temple, and dismissed out of hand whether a small number of the members of Dharma Sansad who have gathered at the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad will decide the temple issue.
He said that the people of India will set the political agenda for the country, and it will be reflected in the election verdict.
Parsa Venkateshwar Rao Jr/DNA
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP