Corrupt politicians control India`s destiny: Team Anna
New Delhi: Erstwhile Team Anna on Wednesday alleged that the country`s destiny was controlled by a few "corrupt" politicians and corporates and it requires right leadership to take on the challenges posed by them.
Activists Arvind Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi took to micro-blogging site Twitter to comment on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s address to the nation on the occasion of Independence Day.
"Today our destinies are controlled by few corrupt politicians, officials and corporates... Hope someday we would have true democracy," Kejriwal said.
He hoped that there would be much more in laws for those who have much less in life and people would directly make laws rather than just elect some people once in five years.
"Hope someday, we would get true independence when people would control their own destiny, when politics would be a means to serve rather than make money," he said.
Commenting on Singh`s speech, Bedi said, "The Prime Minister says we have passed Lokpal Bill etc. Does not say what kind of bill? One which weakens CBI further! Banks on people`s legal illiteracy."
She said what people need is a "measurement tool" of performance of the government from their Prime Minister in which a commoner becomes a stakeholder.
"PM`s speech indicates what may be done. Problem is in the how, the who and even the when (with eye on votes)? Huge Trust deficit!" she said.
None of the programmes and assurances are possible without integrity and administrative willingness. How does that happen is the key challenge, she said, adding country has two key challenges before it. "Political corruption and bureaucratic insensitivity. Both require right leadership for change," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters