Corruption at the root of high inflation: Anna Hazare
Jaunpur: Anti-graft activist Anna Hazare on Tuesday said that steep inflation in the country was the result of rampant corruption which could only be dealt with by a strong Jan Lokpal Bill.
"Inflation is a result of corruption which has made life difficult... We aim at bringing in a Jan Lokpal Bill which ensures that even 60 to 65 paisa misused through corruption can be used for development," Hazare told reporters here during a stop on his `Jantantra Yatra`.
The intention of the Union government on the Bill is not clear as it lacks the will power, he said, adding that, "people are the key to democracy... They should elect representatives with clean and honest image".
Responding to a query on former associate and Aam Aadmi Party founder, Arvind Kejriwal, Hazare indicated he had completely parted ways with the former.
"After he floated a political party, I`ve had nothing to do with Kejriwal", Hazare said.
Hazare launched Janatantra Yatra aiming to garner support for a new campaign demanding a strong Jan Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat