Corruption at the root of high inflation: Anna Hazare
Jaunpur: Anti-graft activist Anna Hazare on Tuesday said that steep inflation in the country was the result of rampant corruption which could only be dealt with by a strong Jan Lokpal Bill.
"Inflation is a result of corruption which has made life difficult... We aim at bringing in a Jan Lokpal Bill which ensures that even 60 to 65 paisa misused through corruption can be used for development," Hazare told reporters here during a stop on his `Jantantra Yatra`.
The intention of the Union government on the Bill is not clear as it lacks the will power, he said, adding that, "people are the key to democracy... They should elect representatives with clean and honest image".
Responding to a query on former associate and Aam Aadmi Party founder, Arvind Kejriwal, Hazare indicated he had completely parted ways with the former.
"After he floated a political party, I`ve had nothing to do with Kejriwal", Hazare said.
Hazare launched Janatantra Yatra aiming to garner support for a new campaign demanding a strong Jan Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof