Corruption engulfing India like cancer: Kalam
Dubai: Asserting that stamping out corruption is one of the biggest challenges that India faces,
former President APJ Abdul Kalam has said the country`s political-bureaucratic-judicial system requires an urgent "chemotherapy" to deal with a "cancer-like situation"
engulfing the country.
"A cancer-like situation is engulfing the political-bureaucratic-judicial system, which is harmful for growth. Certainly the country needs chemotherapy at this critical hour," Kalam told Gulf News during a recent visit to Dubai.
"Establishing a corruption-free India is a major challenge. I propose a youth brigade as the solution. `I can do it. We can do it. India will do it`, should be the spirit," he told the newspaper.
Kalam said there is a sense of anguish, despair and concern among people over the deteriorating democratic values and value system which is increasing day after day and there is need for urgent extraordinary corrective actions.
"If the situation is allowed to continue then we cannot prevent the people taking to the streets and there will be a catastrophic ripple effect, which the nation cannot bear
at this moment when India is poised to become a developed nation," the former President said.
The leadership across the country irrespective of their profession or political affiliation will have to put the country, its development and its pride above their individualism, Kalam added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference